Residential Case Study: Hopkinton, MA
System Type: Solar Hot Water (year round heating)
Installed: June 2018
Building Use: Home
Design Build Contractor: Renewable Energy Systems, LLC
Turnkey roof solar hot water system flush mounted on the south facing roof.
High temp vinyl jacketed insulation was used on all exterior pipe. System is drain back using propylene glycol for freeze protection.
A new solar tank was used as a pre-heat to the existing water heater. Solar differential controller operates the system and a web based monitor is used to quantify production and aid in maintenance.
• New solar hot water collectors mounted on south facing roof
• System is drain back using propylene glycol for freeze protection
• 120 Gallon solar tank was installed in the basement mechanical room
• Solar differential controller operates the system
• Web-based monitoring 24/7 used for optimization & maintenance
• Works all year round
• 70% of the cost covered by rebates, energy credits and tax incentives
• Reduce fossil fuel usage w/ solar hot water
• Saving hundreds of dollars a year
• Less strain on existing boiler, increasing it’s longevity
• All solder joints, tight insulation connections optimizes system